WHAT DO I NEED TO DO AFTER I SIGN THE CONTRACT?
You Bought A Home.
What Should You Do Now?
Here Is The Process Simplified.
After Signing a Contract of Sale to Purchase
- Prepare an inventory of everything you own. Divide into 3 categories:
- Items to be handled by the mover
- Items to be handled by you
- Items to be left behind, given away or thrown out
- For items that are going to be handled by you such as stock certificates; wills; jewelry; fancy dishes and other one-of-a-kind items, that will be difficult or impossible to replace…plan on carrying them with you instead of packing them.
- Get rid of what you don’t need either through a garage sale, give to friends/ family/charity, or haul off to the dump.
- Get a quote on homeowners insurance for your new home
- Get quotes from professional moving companies and hire one
- Start collecting suitable containers and packing materials and start packing
- Register your children in their new schools….if applicable
- If you have to change doctors….start looking and obtain your records
- Set up a new checking account….if necessary
- Contact any clubs or organizations that you are associated with
- Get change of address forms for Post Office, IRS & driver’s license
- Take photos of your inventory in the event you need to file an insurance claim
When you get a closing date
- Call utility companies and switch accounts in to your name.
- LIPA (Electric) (800) 490-0025
- National Grid (Gas) (800) 930-5003
- Suffolk County Water Authority (631) 698-9500
- Oil company Your Choice
- Phone Your Choice
- Cable Your Choice
- Internet Your Choice
- Purchase your homeowners insurance
- Find out what checks are needed from your attorney for the closing
- Call your moving company to give them the date of closing
- Finish packing
- Set up a final walkthrough
What to bring to closing*
- Driver’s license
- Certified checks (if needed)
- Cash ($500- $1,000 should be sufficient)
- Original homeowner’s insurance documents*Contact your attorney and ask if there is anything else that you need to bring
What to do after closing
- Meet the movers and direct them where to place everything
- Inspect your furniture and belongings
- Let everyone know you’ve moved
- Relax and enjoy your new home
If you follow these ideas, tips, and suggestions, you should be able to accomplish your move with a minimal amount of stress and heartache.
Click here to download: Preparing-for-your-move.pdf